Spare Stage has been on hiatus since January 2019. We have no immediate plans for a return to making theatre and this was largely due to both personal and financial reasons. However, it is important that we are not silent at this time and make it clear that we not only want, but strive for a theatre community that is equitable, diverse, and inclusive. When we do return we re-commit to the following core principles and practices.
- every person has the right to feel safe, heard, and valued in the work that we do (including payment, acknowledgment, and visibility) and to have policies and clear practices in place to ensure this
- inclusive casting that does not marginalize or relegate non-white actors to portray stereotypes and limited-range characters
- building and working with teams of collaborators who bring different perspectives and experiences to the work, are diverse and support our values
- plays and projects that do not continue to further the imbalance of stories and voices that get produced
- a board of directors and leadership that reflects these values